Friday, August 20, 2010

Brezelmania

Woke up stiff and sore today, after a 6-hour rogaine last night. I needed a gentle shakedown so I rode down to Petone. I wasn't thinking of my Jackson St project because I thought Soprano's was next and it looks like a fine dining place; all I wanted was a coffee and cake. Turning from Cuba into Jackson I took a closer look at a shop I though was just a take-away bakery - Brezelmania, and spotted an espresso machine and tables.

Just what I wanted. The delightful, perhaps German, staffer didn't know what a macchiato was, but served up a satisfactory cappucino in a takeaway cup, and a delicious strawberry cheesecake. I perched on a street-facing bar-stool and found the Saturday paper among the magazines. Enjoyed the juicy story about the departing Micael Laws (get it?) and the sad saga of student association rip-offs. Empty when I went in, there was a steady stream of customers including a couple of couples sitting down for a snack. Which is the criterion for inclusion in my project.

The first completion on the south side, apart from a few taken out of order which don't count. Rode back up the hill, feeling much better. And made this posting. I wonder if it sounds corny. The style will evolve I suppose, anyway the main audience is oneself. Dear diary.

References: Street address 364 Jackson St Petone. Brezelmania has sites in Kelburn and Kilbirnie but web presence only via directories. Reference to www.brezelmania.co.nz doesn't work. A brezel is a baked item incorporating a knot shape; try "pretzel" in wikipedia as the "brezel" entry is in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment